Judges' Diary : न्याय डायरी 1976

"Late Justice Shiv Dayal (Shrivastava) during his tenure as Chief Justice of the High Court of Madhya Pradesh brought out Judges’ Diary as an official publication of the High Court. It included Judge’s Prayer running into three stanzas.
Invoking the mercy of the Supreme Lord, he described the Judges as “Thy servants whom Thou sufferest to sit in earthly seats of judgement to administer Thy justice to Thy people”.
He begs from the infinite mercy of the Supreme Lord, so as “to direct and dispose my heart that I may this day fulfil all my duty in Thy fear and fall into no error of judgment.”
In the third stanza, he says ___ “Give me grace to hear patiently, to consider diligently, to understand rightly, and to decide justly! Grant me due sense or humility, that I may not be misled by my willfulness, vanity or egotism”.
Rightly, the Judges are something special in the democratic form of government governed by a Constitution and, therefore, the most exacting standards can be none too high."

The above excerpt is taken from the First M.C. Setalvad Memorial Lecture given on Tuesday, 22nd February, 2005 by Hon’ble Shri R.C. Lahoti, Chief Justice of India (page 16 of pdf) on the topic "ATTEMPTED CODIFICATION OF CANONS OF JUDICIAL ETHICS".